Hard Candy Recipe - Microwave
Product code: R0199
This quick-cook method is perfect for making small batches of hard candy or lollipops.
Print Recipe PDF
RECIPE TIP: For easy clean-up, soak measuring cup and utensils in hot, soapy water until hardened syrup is dissolved.
INGREDIENTS1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup light corn syrup
½ dram LorAnn Super-Strength Flavoring (1/2 tsp.*) (as desired)
Hard candy molds (optional)
LorAnn liquid food coloring (as desired)
Powdered sugar (optional)
Sucker bags & twist ties (optional)
*Please note that our Cinnamon, Clove and Peppermint flavors are particularly potent. You may wish to reduce the amount used for these flavors
DIRECTIONSHave all ingredients and tools assembled and within easy reach of the microwave. Use only metal measuring and mixing spoons - do not use plastic. Lightly spray cookie sheet* or the cavities of clean, dry candy molds with cooking spray (we recommend PAM). Insert sucker sticks. If using molds, you may also want to spray a piece of aluminum foil with cooking spray. If after pouring the candy into the molds you have excess candy, you can pour it onto the foil.
- Thoroughly mix sugar and light corn syrup in a 4-cup microwave-safe glass measure designed for high temperatures (such as Pyrex). Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes and 15 seconds.**
- Remove from the microwave and carefully remove plastic wrap. Quickly stir the sugar mixture and then cover with a NEW sheet of plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 3 minutes and 15 seconds.**
- Remove from microwave, carefully remove plastic wrap and stir with a clean spoon. After boiling has ceased, stir in coloring and then flavoring.
- Pour syrup quickly, but carefully using a spoon to control flow, onto prepared cookie sheet and foil or into the waiting molds. If not using molds, when the sugar mixture begins to set up, you may want to score with a large knife to mark squares. Break into pieces when cool. Do not refrigerate.
- Cool completely. Lightly dust with powdered sugar on both sides, brushing off excess. Break into small pieces. Store in airtight containers between waxed paper. If making lollipops, place into sucker bags and secure with twist ties. Always store hard candy in a dry place at cool room temperature, never in the refrigerator.
** All microwaves are not created equal. This recipe is designed to work in a standard household microwave with a power rating between 600-700 watts. Mini-microwaves and/or commercial microwaves are not recommended.