Italian Rainbow Cookies
Product Code: R0457
With delicious, colorful layers of almond cake and raspberry and apricot jam; these moist cookies make a festive, beautiful addition to any cookie platter.
1 cup sugar
8 ounces almond paste, cut into small pieces
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
4 eggs, separated
2 teaspoons LorAnn Almond Bakery Emulsion
LorAnn Red Liquid Gel Food Coloring
LorAnn Green Liquid Gel Food Coloring
1/3 cup apricot jam, strained
1/3 cup raspberry jam, strained
12 ounces dark chocolate coating, melted or tempered chocolate
- Preheat oven to 325°F and grease three 9x13 sheet pans, or two half sheet pans. Line each with parchment.
- In a large bowl, add almond paste, sugar, and one stick of the softened butter. With stand mixer or hand mixer, beat until smooth, making sure the almond paste is completely broken down.
- Add the remaining sticks of butter and continue to mix until smooth (you will need to scrape the sides of the bowl several times).
- Add egg yolks one at a time, making sure they are completely mixed in between.
- Add milk and almond bakery emulsion.
- Lower speed and add flour, mixing until just combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the flour mixture, making sure there are no white streaks of eggs remaining.
- Divide into three bowls.
- In one bowl, add several drops of red liquid gel food coloring. In another bowl, add the green. Leave the third bowl uncolored.
- Evenly spread each color onto its own prepared pan. If you are using two half sheets, spread one bowl to cover a little less than half the pan. One the other side of the pan, add the second bowl, spreading it a few inches shy of half the pan. There will be a gap in the middle of the pan where there is no batter. Add the third bowl to the second pan, starting at one side and spreading to a little less than half the pan.
- Bake each pan separately for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, spread the strained raspberry jam on the green layer and carefully cover with the white layer.
- Spread the strained apricot jam onto the white layer and carefully top with the red layer.
- Cover the cake with plastic wrap, and top with another sheet pan. Evenly stack heavy cans or books on top of the pan and place in the refrigerator for at least 5 hours.
- After your layers have been compressed and a properly chilled, temper chocolate or melt coating.
- Remove plastic wrap and spread a thin layer of chocolate. Refrigerate for 10 minutes, or until the chocolate has fully set.
- Carefully flip layers over and spread bare side with a thin layer of chocolate.
- Once the second side is fully set, trim off uneven edges, then cut cookies into small squares or rectangles.
*Stored in an airtight container, these cookies can be kept in freezer for several months.