Product Code: R0264
Print recipe PDF
2 1/4 cups cake flour (or 2 cups all-purpose flour plus 1/4 cup corn starch)
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons LorAnn lemon bakery emulsion
1 teaspoon LorAnn Madagascar
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon LorAnn lemon bakery emulsion
Fresh berries and/or lemon slices and mint sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter and flour a 9" x 13" baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until very well combined (whisk for a full 20 seconds if using all-purpose flour and corn starch).
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitter with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until very pale and fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs one at a time.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, sour cream, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, lemon bakery emulsion, and vanilla extract.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix on low speed until just combined. Add 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture and mix until just combined. Continue to mix-in ingredients in the same manner adding the remaining buttermilk mixture and ending with the flour mixture (be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of bowl as needed to thoroughly incorporate the ingredients).
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 23 - 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, stir or whisk together the powdered sugar, 6 tablespoons lemon juice, and lemon bakery emulsion until smooth and no lumps remain. If necessary, add water to thin and more powdered sugar to thicken until glaze is spreadable.
- Spoon glaze over cooled cake and spread evenly to cover. Refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes to set the glaze and make cake easier to slice.
- Slice into squares and top with berries and/or lemon slices and mint sprigs, if desired.
By LorAnn Oils
This irresistible cake is enhanced by a deliciously tart lemon glaze.
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour (or 2 cups all-purpose flour plus 1/4 cup corn starch)
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons LorAnn lemon bakery emulsion
- 1 teaspoon LorAnn Madagascar or Mexican vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon LorAnn lemon bakery emulsion
- Fresh berries and/or lemon slices and mint sprigs for garnish (optional)