Cherry Cola Cupcakes
Product Code: R0530
Make sweet summertime last no matter the season with cupcakes that taste just like "sittin' on the porch drinkin' ice cold cherry Coke." The cupcakes consist of sweet, cherry almond flavor and are topped with a vanilla spiced, cola buttercream frosting. Our Cola Super-Strength is a natural flavor where its tasting notes are a combination of vanilla, cinnamon, caramelized sugar, and citrus; just like a refreshing glass of soda without the fizz.
For Cherry Almond Cupcakes:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
4 egg whites
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup maraschino cherry juice
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon LorAnn Organic Madagascar Vanilla Extract
1/2 teaspoon LorAnn Almond Bakery Emulsion
1/2 teaspoon LorAnn Cherry Bakery Emulsion
maraschino cherries with stems (optional garnish)
For Cola Buttercream Frosting:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar (confectioners’ sugar)
pinch of salt
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 teaspoon LorAnn Organic Madagascar Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon LorAnn Cola Super-Strength Flavor
6-8 drops LorAnn Brown Liquid Gel Food Coloring
DirectionsFor Cherry Almond Cupcakes:
- Allow butter and egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line twenty-four baking cups with paper liners (or coat with cooking spray).
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk and cherry juice until combined; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, vanilla, almond flavoring, and cherry flavoring; beat until combined.
- Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Spoon (or use a cookie scoop to transfer) batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cupcakes in baking cups on wire racks until completely cooled.
- In a large bowl, beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down bottom and sides of bowl as necessary. When all of the sugar has been mixed in, icing may appear dry.
- Add buttermilk, vanilla, and cola flavoring and beat on low speed until combined. Increase speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add 6-8 drops of brown liquid gel food coloring and combine.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe cupcakes as desired.
- Top with sprinkles and place a half of a maraschino cherry onto one side of the cupcake. Place a paper straw on the other side of the cupcake at a 45 degree angle for a fun decoration idea to play on the cherry Coke theme.
*Makes approximately 24 cupcakes depending on size and 3 1/2 cups of frosting.