Groovy Chiffon Cake
Product Code: R0526
PEACE. LOVE. AND GROOVY VIBES ONLY! This light, lemony chiffon cake is full of bold flavors and colors and was developed to celebrate our 60th Anniversary. A chiffon cake is a hybrid between a sponge cake and a butter cake. Unlike most sponges, chiffon cake does contain both baking powder and oil; however, like a sponge cake, chiffon cakes are built on a foundation of separated, whipped egg whites and yolks. Make this rainbow cake for all of your groovy-themed parties, Pride Month, and more.
3 egg yolks
15 grams castor sugar (4 teaspoons)
30 grams oil (2 tablespoons)
30 grams water (2 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon LorAnn Lemon Bakery Emulsion
45 grams cake flour, sifted (1/3 cup)
3-4 drops each LorAnn Liquid Gel Food Colors of choice - We used red, orange, yellow, and teal in this recipe to create a rainbow.
3 egg whites
40 grams castor sugar (0.2 cup)
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 284°F (140°C). Prepare a 6” cake pan with removable base and 5 baking cups (2"-3”).
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar. Then add in oil, water, and lemon flavoring and mix well. Add in sifted cake flour and mix batter is smooth.
- Divide cake batter into tie-dye themed colors (6 parts). Add respective gel food coloring and mix well.
- In a large, grease-free bowl, whisk egg whites with cream of tartar till foamy. Add in castor sugar gradually and whisk till firm peaks are formed.
- Divide meringue into 6 parts and gently fold into respective colored batter above.
- Pipe the colored batter into the cake pan, alternating the colors, till the pan is filled 1” from the brim. Bake at 284°F for 45-50 mins, or until a skewer comes out dry.
- Pipe lollipop circles and swirls in the baking cups.
- Bake for 20-24 mins, or until cakes are firm to touch.
- Unmold and decorate your groovy chiffon cake with the lollipops.