Key Lime Pie Bars
Product Code: R0432
A buttery lime shortbread crust topped with creamy key lime filling and served with coconut whipped cream and toasted coconut.
IngredientsFor Shortbread Crust:
1 cup salted butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 14 oz. cans sweetened condensed milk
4 oz. (half a block) cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup key lime (or regular lime) juice
1/4 cup water
Zest of 2 Limes
1/8 teaspoon LorAnn Oils Key Lime Super-Strength Flavor
1/2 cup heavy cream, cold
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon LorAnn Coconut Bakery Emulsion
1/4 cup Coconut Flakes (optional)
DirectionsFor Lime Shortbread Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt until combined.
- Stir in the melted butter and mix until combined.
- Press the shortbread into the prepared pan. Use a 1/4 measuring cup to press it down into an even layer, then use an offset spatula to clean up the edges and make sure the corners are pressed down.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then allow to cool completely. It shouldn't brown at all and should even look a little wet and under baked in the center, that's ok.
For Key Lime Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Add the cream cheese to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium for 5 minutes until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl halfway through and as needed.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk. Mix to combine.
- Add in the lime juice, water, lime zest, and key lime flavor. Mix to combine.
- Pour over cooled shortbread crust and bake for 10 minutes, then allow to cool on the countertop for 30 minutes.
- Chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Slice into 16 bars, top with coconut whipped cream and toasted coconut and serve.
For Coconut Whipped Cream:
- Put the cold cream, sugar, and coconut emulsion in a large bowl. It helps if the bowl is also cold!
- Whisk by hand until soft peaks form. It will take about 5 minutes of whisking. It's an arm work out, but you can beat hand whipped cream!
- Alternatively you can do this in your mixer with the whisk attachment, just watch it because it's easy to over whip it when doing it this way!
- Keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- Toast the coconut flakes in a dry pan over medium heat until golden brown.