Product Code: R0358
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup light corn syrup
¾ cup water
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
¼ tsp LorAnn Red Liquid Food Color, if desired
½ tsp LorAnn Super-Strength Watermelon Flavor
Note: Before making taffy, it’s always a good idea to test the accuracy of your thermometer. To do this, fill a pot of water and clip on the thermometer. Bring the water to a boil. At sea level, water boils at 212° F; if the reading on your thermometer is higher or lower, take the difference into account when testing the temperature of your mixture. Have all ingredients and tools assembled and within easy reach of the stove. Metal spoons and measuring utensils are recommended.
- In a saucepan, mix together sugar and cornstarch. Stir in corn syrup, water, salt, and butter.
- Place over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Cover pan and bring to a boil for 2–3 minutes.
- Uncover, place thermometer in pan, and cook, without stirring, to about 246° F.
- Remove from heat and add LorAnn Oils Red Liquid Food Coloring and LorAnn Oils Watermelon Flavor.
- Stir gently, pour onto lightly greased marble slab or a shallow lightly greased pan to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, lightly butter hands and pull the warm candy with fIngertips, pulling out to about 12 inches at frst.
- Quickly turn candy back from fngertips of one hand to the other hand, then catch center and pull again. This will incorporate air into the candy. Continue pulling until taffy is light in color and has a satiny gloss, about 10–15 minutes.
- Pull into a long rope, cut with greased scissors and wrap in waxed paper squares, twisting ends.