- LorAnn Oils | Essential Oils, Candy Flavors, Baking Flavors & Extracts>
- Recipe Collection>
- Holiday Recipes>
- St. Patrick's Day, Easter & Spring Holiday Recipes>
- Tie-Dye Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Frosting
Tie-Dye Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Frosting
Product Code: R0501
This cupcake recipe was created in honor of our 60th Anniversary! Make all of your retro-themed celebrations extra GROOVY with these bright and electric tie-dye cupcakes using liquid gel food coloring. Top with a delicious, creamy vanilla bean frosting to complete your playful and fun treat.
IngredientsFor Tie-Dye Cupcakes:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
3/4 teaspoon LorAnn Alcohol-Free Vanilla Extract
½ teaspoon LorAnn Almond Bakery Emulsion
1/2 cup plain kefir, room temperature
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
LorAnn Liquid Gel Food Colors of choice - In this recipe we used red, orange, green, purple, and teal
For Vanilla Bean Frosting:
2 ounces full fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
½ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
? teaspoon salt
2 ¼ teaspoons LorAnn Organic Madagascar Vanilla Bean Paste
DirectionsFor Tie-Dye Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with liners. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat unsalted butter and granulated sugar until it is thick, fluffy, and lighter in color (3-4 minutes). Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating in between. Add vanilla extract and almond flavoring and mix.
- Add the flour mixture and kefir to the wet ingredients, alternating between the two. Mix between each addition. Scrape the bowl and add in vegetable oil and mix again. Be sure not to overmix.
- Divide batter equally among five bowls. Add a few drops of food coloring to each bowl; stir just until combined.
- Drop a spoonful of each color of batter into the lined cups. Layer with remaining colored batter until cups are two-thirds full. If desired, swirl using a toothpick.
- Bake for 25-27 minutes or until centers are springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer them to a cooling rack to cool entirely before adding frosting.
For the Vanilla Bean Frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the unsalted butter and cream cheese until smooth and fluffy (3 minutes). Add the heavy cream and beat on low speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the confectioners' sugar and beat again until combined.
- Add vanilla bean paste and salt and mix until well incorporated. You can adjust the consistency of the frosting as desired. If too thin, add more confectioners' sugar (¼ cup at a time). If too thick, add heavy cream (1 tablespoon at a time).
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag and pipe frosting onto each cupcake.